View a full archive of all published work
Public engagement and other topics related to academia.
Disability Essays – Violence, Representation, Family, Politics
Contact David here.
Selected clips from CNN, The New York Times, The Guardian, Al Jazeera America, The Atlantic, The Nation, and Vice.com You can also see these clips via Contently or Clippings.
Disability and Representation
- Down Syndrome – Getting Beyond “Cute” (Al Jazeera America, 10/15/2014)
- Zoo Camp for All (Belt Magazine, 5/12/15)
- Speaking Out Against Autism Speaks (New York Times, 6/4/15)
- ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ is a Feminist Action Flick (Vice.com, 5/13/15)
- Wyatt Cenac and Telling Jokes About Down syndrome (CNN.com, 7/6/2014)
- Sustained Public Engagement – “But Does it Count?” (Chronicle.com, 6/23/2014)
- Faculty Members Are Not Cashiers (Chronicle.com, 3/18/2014)
- Conservatives want to rewrite the history of the Crusades (The Guardian, 2/7/15)
- What To Tell Your Kids About Columbus (CNN.com, 10/10/2014)
- Daddy, What’s Down Syndrome? (Yahoo! Parenting, 3/17/15)
- Harsh Critics in Public Spaces, Judging Only What They See (NYTimes.com, 1/12/15)
- The Public Health Menace of Jenny McCarthy (Atlantic.com, 7/11/2013)
- Best Dressed Girl – Gender Stereotypes in Preschool (CNN.com, 5/28/2013)
- Ethan Saylor: Disability Rights are Universal Human Rights (CNN.com, 8/29/2013)
- Ferguson and the Cult of Compliance (Al Jazeera America, 8/15/2014)
- FAIR: Counterspin – Media Coverage of Police Use of Force and Disability (7/28/16)
- Word of Mouth – Assistive Technology: How can you afford to access accessibility? (7/13/16)
- WBEZ Morning Shift – Police Use of Force and the Ruderman Report (3/7/16)
- NPR’s Here and Now – Columbus Day (10/12/15)
Corporate Writing and White Papers
- Google Impact Challenge – ADA Commemoration (Lead writer of the biographies on this page, commissioned by Google.org)
- The Ruderman White Paper on Media Coverage of Police Use of Force and Disability. With Lawrence Carter-Long. Published March, 2016.
- The Ruderman White Paper on Media Coverage of the Murder of Disabled InPiduals by Their Families and Caregivers. Published March, 2017.
Selected Author Pages (not maintained by author)
- Al Jazeera America (Disability, Law, State Violence)
- The Atlantic (History, Disability)
- New York Times (Parenting)
- Vice (Entertainment)